Southeast Prescott Historic Preservation District
As you leave the downtown area of Prescott, with the Courthouse Square, Whiskey Row. and all the small shops, headed east toward Prescott Valley, take a moment and turn right on Mount Vernon Street. Turn right and turn back the clock to a peaceful era of tree-lined streets and grand Victorian Architecture. This area is straight out of small-town Midwestern history.
The Southeast Prescott Historic Preservation District more commonly known as the Mount Vernon area was has a long history in Prescott. Located 4 blocks east of the Downtown area and the Courthouse square, the oldest homes in this area were built in 1894. The district is bordered on the north side by Gurley Street. Both sides of south Mount Vernon are in the district as well as south Pleasant until Carleton Street. The district also contains the east side of south Alarcon up to Goodwin. This area consists of 115 homes and covers 36 acres. The median year built is 1926 and the median size is 1900 square feet. Homes range from the years 1894 to 1994 and 550 to 4500 square feet. 10% of the homes are under 900 square feet and another 10% are over 3000 square feet. Most, if not all, of the homes in this area, are of Victorian Design and many are on the Historic Register.
The home at 202 South Pleasant, which is now the home of the local American Legion, was built in 1902 by R. N. Fredericks who was a local banker and President of the Prescott National Bank. The home at 105 South Alcaron was originally built in 1895 by Ephilet B. Gage who made his fortune in mining in the Tombstone and Congress areas of Arizona and later sold the home to his partner, F.M. Murphy who built the Arizona Territorial Railroad system. The home at 122 South Mount Vernon was built in 1895 and is one of the largest homes in the area at 4355 square feet. It was built by John J. Hawkins who was a prominent Attorney and Judge during the last 3 decades of the Arizona Territory. He was also a member of the Council of Territorial Legislature, a member of the Supreme Court of Arizona and President of the Arizona Bar Association. The home at 202 South Mount Vernon was built by Moses B. Hazeltine in 1903 and is one of the best preserved, of the era, in this area. Mr. Hazeltine arrived in this area 1887 and as well as other activities, worked as a cashier at the Bank of Arizona. During his career, he worked his way up to President of the Bank.
Mount Vernon street is well known in the area for the vast decorations at Halloween and many children Trick or Treat there each year.
One of the more prestigious areas of Prescott is the Prescott Lakes Subdivision. This 1150 acre Master Planned Residential and Private Golf Community is just 10 minutes north of Downtown Prescott. Prescott Lakes boasts 17 diverse neighborhoods, both gated and non-gated, with Condominiums, Townhouses, Semi-Custom and Custom Homes. These residences range in size from 1300 square feet to over 5000 square feet. The first homes in the subdivision were built in the 1990's and construction is ongoing. Current prices range around the $200K's for Condominiums and from $300K - >1M for site-built homes.
For recreation, there is a 210 acre 18 hole golf course designed by Hale Irwin and currently managed by Arnold Palmer Management. There is also a 14,000 square foot Athletic Clubhouse, built in 2012, that features both indoor and outdoor swimming pools. There is also a fitness center along with tennis and pickleball courts. The clubhouse also has a full-service casual restaurant, ballroom facilities and an outside terrace with expansive views. Prescott Lakes also has 12 acres of open space with many hiking and walking trails. Along these trails, you will see many prehistoric petroglyphs. This community and the recreation facilities are governed by a homeowners association.
Traveling west through Prescott, passing the downtown area and winding your way out Gurley Street, you will come to an area known as Hassayampa. This area that sits under the shadow of Thumb Butte (which can be clearly seen as you head west on Gurley), has a long history. Founded in 1919, the Hassayampa Country Club became a destination for Golfers from around the southwest. Originally a 9 hole course it was described as one of the most picturesque spots in America. The club fell on hard times during the Depression and was purchased by Harvey Cory along with the 160 acres surrounding the club. Mr. Cory tore down the original clubhouse and built a new one in 1939. This clubhouse boasted a massive building along with a pro shop, locker rooms, tennis courts and an Olympic-size pool. The club again established itself as a destination. Mr. Cory was the dreamer that wanted home sites surrounding the course. Between 1940 and 1945, he built 14 homes on the property.
Fast forward to 1969. This destination spot turned insolvent and closed. For almost 30 years the club remained closed and was finally purchased by Desert Troon Development. Famed Golfer, Tom Weiskopf remodeled and expanded the course to 18 holes. The new course was opened in July of 1998 followed by a 30,000 square foot clubhouse in 1999.
The 14 original homes, along Old Hassayampa Lane, were purchased by a group of 7 investors, to preserve and protect them from demolition. In 2003, the Prescott city council approved the creation of a historic overlay district for the homes which have been placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
In March of 2008, the club was purchased by it members. It again fell on hard times and is now under the management of Troon as of 2015.
This gorgeous area provides residences in the form of Townhouses, Condominiums and Site Built Homes ranging in size from 1,100 to 7,000 square feet. Most of these have been built since the mid-1990’s and there are still vacant lots available to build your own dream home! Prices range from the mid $200,000’s for the smaller Condominiums to well over $1,000,000 for some of the larger Site Built Homes.